Wednesday, August 22, 2007

First Day

The first day only reinforced what I've been thinking all along--this year will be very different from the last two years.

Some highlights that make the differences:
  • Not once today did I hear "That's not fair." due to my classroom policies.
  • The administration supports my suggestion of the removal of some students from an honors class because they didn't do the summer assignment (that they had all summer to complete).
  • I was able to take some time to just chill during the school day.


My first class at Catholic University will be on Tuesday. With determination, I decided to go ahead and take the classes. It was actully an easier decision than I had anticipated, largely because I realized that I actually am interested in the sociological effects on information, information technologies, and informatoin accessibility.

So here I am, with a bunch of papers all ready to be graded. Will I do them tonight? Probably not. That wold send the signal that I'm a very fast grader. It's a precedent that I'm not comfortable setting.
I'm very encouraged about the year.

1 comment:

blogMeister said...

You know, there's nothing wrong with being a fast grader. I actually wish some of my professors had been a bit faster at several points in my education, but that's neither here nor there. And I just want to say that funding graduate studies is a headache that I'm all too familiar with. I hear you brother, but as Robert Randolph would say "press on".